Sunday, August 29, 2010

Craving: Gourmet Burgers


Food trends pop up fast and by the time they finally leave you are utterly sick of whatever the hot ingredient/ food was. South Carolina usually gets the trends a little after the rest of the world but they still hit hard. Four years ago the pork belly fad nearly killed me, if I never see pork belly on a menu again I will be happy camper. The more recent trends aren’t quite as ubiquitous or, well, fatty. Most cupcake bakeries in town are still holding on (my personal favorite being the almond cupcake at Sugar Bake Shop), food trucks are even starting to pop up in Charleston.

One food trend that hasn’t hit Charleston too hard yet is gourmet burger restaurants.  Save one or two, my favorite being Sesame, which is fantastic, AND uses hormone free beef and local ingredients. 

I took a quick weekend trip to Atlanta to see some girlfriends and they took me to Flip Burger Boutique. To avoid the 45-minute wait we chose to sit outside on their patio.


I had the Butcher’s Cut, which has caramelized onions, bleu cheese, red wine jam and pickled shallots. The meat was perfectly cooked, the ingredients were well balanced, and the size was just right for me. For a side I had zucchini fries that came topped with parmesan cheese and lemon zest.



For desert, a Nutella milkshake with toasted marshmallows. My friend Zoe had a turtle milkshake that was out of this world. After a delicious meal the girls and I hit the town and ended up at one of their favorite neighborhood haunts, Hand in Hand.  



All in all the trip was fantastic but ever since I got back I have been craving some Flip Burger, I guess I will have to head back to Atlanta soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment