Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Craving: A new spin

I have been trying to figure out how to make my blog more unique and focused. Boyfriend is super supportive in this endeavor and came up with a fantastic idea for me! (He has an amazing blog that is unique, focused and well written. And, if you are into baseball, I mean REALLY into baseball you will love it.)

Anyway I love gourmet food but I totally don’t have the budget to cook that way right now. So, the plan is to take gourmet concepts, flavors, textures and put them in a low budget frame. Tonight was my first attempt. I took some left over steak (from a date night meal), a couple of shrimp and a potato- voila! surf and turf twice baked potato.


Twice baked potatoes were a staple in my house as a child. Mom would use them as an excuse to use up all the vegetable and cheese scraps. They are also pretty quick and easy to whip together. Scrub the potato, scour the edge where you would cut it in half (so it doesn’t explode in the microwave), microwave the potato and carefully scrape out the insides with a large spoon (take care not to rip the skin). Rub the skins with olive oil and coarse sea salt (crucial for a crunchy and delicious skin). 

Mix butter, milk, and cheese in with the still warm potato insides and place the mix back in the skins. Bake at 400 for around 20 minutes. Time varies depending on what your stuffing is but I typically find that sufficient.


I ended up making two separate potatoes. The steak with extra sharp white cheddar.


The shrimp with lemon, parmesan, Italian seasoning and topped with bread crumbs. 


I will make this meal again with a slightly different slant, next time I will use crab, instead of shrimp, and combine all the ingredients with a modified bĂ©arnaise sauce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment